Friday, January 14, 2011

Dental Emergency During Pregnancy

Dental x-ray during pregnancy?

I am 36 weeks pregnant and started to have a horrible toothache. I tried to make a dental appointment but they said that they will have to do x-rays to determine what's wrong. I read mixed facts about x-rays during pregnancy, so i'm not sure. I called my OB to ask her if I can have a dental x-ray but she's not in until later this afternoon. I guess I rather go for a month with a toothache than harming my baby, but at the same time, I want this tooth taken care of asap. Does anyone have any experience with this?
--------------------
I had to have a tooth extracted when I was pregnant and they done an x-ray first but they put a lead cover over my belly to protect the baby from the rays so I think you should be ok, I was in my early weeks of pregnancy and they told me that the lead would stop any of the rays hurting my baby. I was in real agony and I was so nervous when I was getting the tooth out because I was pregnant but my baby boy was born absolutely perfect and healthy. I'm sure that it will be ok to get the tooth seen to. Good Luck :0)
Source

1 comments:

American Dental said...
At 36 weeks you are usually safe to have an X-ray taken ( make sure the office you go to does digital x-rays which emit lower levels of radiation). However,my office always gets the approval of the OBGYN plus we double shield the baby with 2 lead aprons. The tooth infection is more of a risk for the baby than the actual dental procedures rendered. Your dentist should inquire about anesthetic to be used in addition to a follow-up antibiotic and pain medication preference. Contact your dentist ASAP to treat your dental problem. Hope you feel better soon! Dr. Steve Pleickhardt, Gainesville,Virginia

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog. I had fun reading this. And it is easy to understand. Nice going.

    dental emergency lansing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eagle Eye Dental Clinic dedicated to treating our patients with care and compassion in a friendly environment.We give every patient individualized attention and take our time to provide meticulous and quality dental care.

    Discount Dentist





















    ReplyDelete